In recent years doctors have found that vitamin D is one of the most important nutrients for keeping our body strong, and heart and mind active.
It makes the bones strong, and lack of it can lead to health issues like depression, diabetes, asthma, cancer. So here are the reasons you need to keep some vitamin D supplements at hand:
1. Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium better thus strengthening your bones. Lack of vitamin D can lead to brittle and weak bones.
2. One of the reasons we feel fresh under sun after grey days is because vitamin D which gets generated in body due to sun exposure is known to lift mood and help in fighting depression.
3. Research shows that low vitamin D in children can make them vulnerable to wheezing and asthma.
4. Since best source of vitamin D is your skin, it is a good idea to expose your skin to direct sunlight for five to ten minutes every day. However avoid overdoing the sun exposure bit since UV rays can cause skin cancer.
5. If you suffer from hypertension, then make sure you get your daily dose of vitamin D since its deficiency combined with hypertension can be fatal.
6. To avoid post-menopausal weight gain doctors recommend a combination of calcium and vitamin D. It also helps in fighting mood swings.
7. Get your vitamin D from fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, egg yolk, and cod liver oil.
These health tips are copyrighted by Medicaldaily.com