- A federal court upheld a California law that prohibits the sale and production of foie gras because force-feeding birds to produce the delicacy is deemed animal cruelty.
Llamas, Friendship: Certified Animal Therapists Fight Loneliness At Wash. Rehabilitation Center [VIDEO]Meet Marisco and N.H. Flight of the Eagle, two certified llama therapists at Bellingham Health and Rehabilitation Center.
- Age trumps species in a study of human empathy, in which researchers find that people feel for the plight of dogs more than adults.
Bear Mauls Man At Church Picnic: Man Bloodied With Puncture Wounds May Face Charges For Provoking BearA black bear mauls a man in Alaska after he fed it two pieces of meat from a church barbecue.
- Baby sharks, while still in egg cases, can sense electric field of the predators and stay still to avoid being eaten.
- Japanese scientists managed to capture for the first time footage of a 26 ft giant squid drifting in the depths of the Pacific Ocean.
- Bonobos will give up their own meal for the company of strangers.
Brains and Brawn Really Don't Go Together: Why Brainy Fish Are Smarter, but Smaller and Have Less OffspringNew study proves that you really can't have the brains and the brawn, after researchers found that a boost in brain size and cognitive ability comes at an expensive price.
- Male peacocks are already thinking about getting future conquests right before they're about to mate with their current peahen.
- Parrots, known for their uncanny ability to mimic sounds, also have personal musical tastes.
- Scientists exploring the Peruvian Amazon have discovered a spider that builds giant decoy "spiders" to hang in its web.
- Soldiers are hunting a wild elephant that strayed into villages in Nepal and killed four people in the span of three months.