- The best-seller list of pharmaceutical drugs includes treatments for pain, depression, diabetes, and cholesterol, yet also unexpected orphan diseases.
- Standing or walking for two extra hours a day will not only lower your cholesterol, it'll help slim your waist.
- A daily apple may have health benefits comparable to those of conventional preventative medicine like statins.
- High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) is "good" cholesterol that helps reduce inflammation and adverse health effects brought on by high levels of "bad" cholesterol.
- Results from Amgen’s year-long safety and efficacy study showed monthly treatment with its experimental cholesterol drug, evolocumab, reduced LDL cholesterol by 52 percent.
- A panel of experts identifies patients who would most benefit from statins to prevent and control high cholesterol while also recommending a heart healthy lifestyle.
- Evo Terro, an Arizona man, went on a sausage and beer diet, lowering his cholesterol levels and dropping major pounds.
- A Mediterranean diet in combination with high-intensity interval training may lead to improved cardiovascular health for the obese.
- Although many Americans take non-prescription fish oil supplements, a much stronger formulation awaits regulatory approval for use in treating "very high" triglyceride levels, which may open a market of 36 million Americans.
- Johns Hopkins researchers discovered that statins, a cholesterol-lowering medication, may reduce the risk of dementia by 29 percent when taken for a year or more.
- Statins, cholesterol-lowering drugs, are found to benefit elderly patients at risk for heart disease.
5 Surprising Benefits of Common Prescription Drugs: "Side Effects" Cut Cancer Risk, Improve CreativitySide effects of common prescription drugs are not necessarily negative, several studies suggest. Here are some examples of "bonus" effects.