natural disasters Stories
- Filipino officials estimate that the death toll from Typhoon Haiyan could reach as many as 10,000 people.
- The Philippines was hit by a 7.2-magnitude earthquake Tuesday. Rescue efforts at a local hospital were hampered by damaged roads and bridges.
- Massive flash flooding in Boulder, Colo., left two dead and emergency officials scrambling to help the stranded.
- The sinkhole that swallowed a portion of Summer Bay Resort near Disney World may be a symptom of a bigger problem, with sinkholes popping up across Florida.
- The storm system that spanned from Texas to Minnesota claimed the lives of 37 in Moore, Okla., as hospitals receive an influx of injured.
- On Wednesday evening, deadly tornadoes ripped through northern Granbury and touched several other counties to claim the lives of six who were living in Habitat for Humanity homes.
- Heart attack rates are three times higher for New Orleans residents in the Hurricane Katrina aftermath. Survivors of natural disasters are often at higher risk for cardiovascular and stress-related disease.
- In honor of National Preparedness Month, everyone should take a pledge to be prepared for when a disaster strikes.
Viewer Discretion Is Advised: Watching Disturbing News Footage Can Damage Long-term Mental and Physical HealthPeople are increasingly able to watch global drama unravel as more and more 24-hour news channels and social media websites bring in a constant stream of disturbing footage from war zones in faraway lands, but scientists say that the constant exposure to distressing news could actually negatively impact our long term health.