- Nearly 2.1 million adolescents worldwide were living with HIV at the end of last year with girls accounting for nearly two-thirds of new infections.
- A report out of UNICEF claims that 6.6 million children under the age of 5 died in 2012 as a result of diseases such as malaria.
- In an unprecedented string of attacks, eight female health workers have been killed by gunmen on motorcycles within 48 hours in Pakistan.
- Child mortality below the age of five has dropped significantly since the 1990s, according to a new UNICEF report.
- Countries across the world are making rapid progress on child survival rates, showing it is possible to bring down child mortality significantly in two decades.