- Stem cells have the power to become any type of cell in the body, and as a result, are at the forefront of many medical innovations ranging from leukemia treatment to diabetes therapies.
- New research suggests a link between conception via fertility treatment and an increased risk of cancer during childhood.
- Actress Erin Moran died after battling stage four throat cancer.
- Riding a bike to work can boost your longevity by reducing cancer and heart disease risk.
- New research suggests that eliminating certain amino acids, the building blocks of protein, from the diet could aid in recovery from cancer. However, the diet comes with risks.
- New research has found that cancer patients who have taken aspirin for a long period of time may live longer than patients who do not take it.
- Researchers in Germany hope to attach a medicine-filled "hat" to sperm cells in order to better deliver treatment to hard-to-reach cancers inside the female reproductive tract.
- Study finds that aggressive breast cancer cells grow faster in obese tissue, suggesting that weight loss may be an effective cancer-fighting tool.
- A Nigerian court has ruled that Coca-Cola products manufactured in Nigeria are not safe for human consumption and therefore should be banned.
- A new study from Tel Aviv University in Israel has discovered a natural process that is able to destroy "incurable" cancer cells without destroying healthy cells.
- A mother in England claims to have cured her son's leukemia by secretly buying and giving him illegal marijuana. She now hopes to spread awareness of the potential of using weed as a cancer treatment.
- The cancer is linked to breast implants, but is not breast cancer.
Cancer is a broad group of various diseases, all involving unregulated cell growth. In cancer, cells divide and grow uncontrollably, forming malignant tumors, and invade nearby parts of the body. The cancer may also spread to more distant parts of the body through the lymphatic system or bloodstream. Not all tumors are cancerous. Benign tumors do not grow uncontrollably, do not invade neighboring tissues, and do not spread throughout the body.