- Diabetes is a life-long disease and can cause health issues related to heart and blood vessels, eyes, kidneys, nerves and teeth.
- Watercress, the "healing herb," can alleviate these 6 health conditions, from high blood pressure to diabetes.
- New preliminary research has shown that married people were 50 percent less likely to be overweight than single people suffering from Type 2 diabetes.
- The world's first glucose meter for iPhone 7 will soon launch, and provide an easy and constant way for diabetics to monitor important levels.
- From anesthetics to warfarin, here are 10 of the most important "accidental" medical discoveries.
- Research has shown that your height can affect overall health, like cancer and diabetes risks.
- Latinos are living longer than people of other races, despite being susceptible to diabetes and heart disease.
- The same genetic mutation that makes men more likely to be aggressive and reckless while drunk may also protect them from obesity.
- A paper published Monday in the Journal of Clinical Investigation shows that blocking a cellular glucose sensor in muscle improves insulin responsiveness.
- Living a healthy lifestyle may be the key to saving money over the course of your lifetime.
- Cranberry products are packed with antioxidants known as polyphenols, which have been studied before for their potential health benefits.
- A Mediterranean diet that has no fat restrictions appears to be the most successful way to curb your risk of certain chronic diseases.
Diabetes is a group of metabolic diseases in which a person has high blood sugar, either because the body does not produce enough insulin, or because cells do not respond to the insulin that is produced. Both type 1 and 2 are chronic conditions that usually cannot be cured. Adequate treatment of diabetes is important, as well as blood pressure control and lifestyle factors such as smoking cessation and maintaining a healthy body weight.