- With the increasing incidence of Clostridium difficile infection, clinicians have seen more infections in previously low-risk populations.
- An ingredient that naturally occurs in breast milk might be used to prevent premature babies from developing a deadly intestinal condition.
- A new strain of superbug bacteria C. diff was identified in Scotland after three patient deaths.
- More and more scientific studies are proving the therapeutic uses of medical marijuana. Currently legal in 18 states plus D.C., it may be only a matter of time before medical marijuana is legal...
- Joanne Turton,33, has felt bloated since she was 18. She may have a fighting chance against the mysterious bowel disorder with a surgical procedure.
- Genetically modified goat milk can benefit children afflicted with bacterial diarrhea.
- Chronic heartburn symptoms are currently addressed with medication, but a new approach directly addresses the mechanical issue that causes the problem: A new kind of implant that consists of a loop of magnetic titanium beads can reestablishes the functionality of the esophageal sphincter.
- New research shows an unexpected effect of gut bacteria on blood pressure, which may lead to better treatment of hypertension. The more fiber you eat, the more the bacteria may help you stay healthy.
- Over 100 people have been made sick from salmonella poisoning. State investigations have tracked down the likely responsible farm.
- With an estimated 1 in 88 people affected with autism spectrum disorder, researchers are on the hunt for, if not a treatment, at least a better understanding of the mechanisms behind the condition.
- New research on young twins in Malawi in sub Saharan Africa has identified a new culprit of severe acute childhood malnutrition: gut bacteria.
- Doctors are prescribing Coca-Cola to treat patients suffering from a painful stomach condition known as gastric phytobezoar or stomach blockage.
All diseases that pertain to the gastrointestinal tract are labelled as digestive diseases. This includes symptoms and diseases of stomach and intestines, such as: constipation, diarrhea, GERD, heartburn, gas, bloating, hemorrhoids, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and others.