- Scientists were recently able to extend the lifespan of mice by reprogramming some of their genes, and believe the same can be done someday in humans.
- We have an idea how humans are going to evolve in the future, and it’s not necessarily natural.
- Two new genes have been connected to a patient’s chances for surviving lung and brain cancer, and that ultimately could mean more specialized care.
- Cryogenic freezing sounds like science fiction, but we’re getting closer and closer to waking up the frozen dead.
- The dirt in our own backyards could hold the key to curing all sorts of diseases, and scientists need your help to find them.
- Scientists identify gene variant that may help with alcohol addiction treatment.
- Scientists found a molecule that causes auditory hallucinations in people with schizophrenia and could use that information to better treat the mental illness.
- Scientists identify three genetic mutations linked to uncombable hair syndrome.
- A new study has suggested that alcohol abuse in teens may lead to genetic changes in their children that are associated with mental health problems.
- A number of genetic mutations can cause startling traits and characteristics in humans; here are five of the most strange.
- New research has identified a behavior of telomeres that may lead to new cancer treatments.
- Scientists may have discovered when and how a genital defect occurs in female fetuses that fuses the urethra and the vagina.
Genetics deals with the molecular structure and function of genes, gene behavior, patterns of inheritance from parent to offspring, and gene distribution, variation and change in populations. Genes correspond to regions within DNA, a molecule composed of a chain of four different types of nucleotides—the sequence of these nucleotides is the genetic information organisms inherit.