- A new measles drug blocks viral replication and establishes immunity in animal models of the disease, a study finds.
- Targeting a specific protein instructs stem cells to restore function and structure to thymus, a key part of the immune system.
- The mumps outbreak at Ohio State University has reached 28 cases — and with an incubation period of nearly a month, more are expected to follow.
- The MMR vaccine has been linked to fewer hospitalizations for infections among children who receive it on time.
- Researchers created a mathematical model that can help track the spread of diseases based on how many people are refusing to get vaccines.
- The Immunity Project is using crowdfunding to support the development of its HIV vaccine, but the effort is not without its critics.
- Swiss researchers have used a veterinary medication to treat worm infections among children in developing countries.
- Developing an effective HIV vaccine is the only perceivable end to the HIV/AIDS pandemic, according to a new report.
- Researchers have discovered changes in gene expression for peanut-allergic people after oral immunotherapy (OIT), which researchers say may provide clues into the treatment's long-term effectiveness.
- The National Institutes of Health is offering healthy patients $3,000 to become infected with the flu, in an effort to find a better vaccine.
- For the first time, researchers detected changes in brain metabolism and spatial memory of healthy people after their immune system was activated by a vaccination. The study reveals that our memory is sensitive to even the slightest degree of inflammation.
- Space travel could have detrimental effect on our immune system due to gravity's effect on our immune response, according to a new study.
Immune System Disorders
An immune system is a system of biological structures and processes within an organism that protects against disease. In order to function properly, an immune system must detect a wide variety of agents, from viruses to parasitic worms, and distinguish them from the organism's own healthy tissue. A vaccine is a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.