- An interactive graphic shows the grim consequences of public resistance to vaccines.
- Our noses can distinguish t-shirts worn by people whose immune systems mimicked very early stages of disease, showing just how sensitive humans are to smelling sickness.
- Celiac patients who were given 50 grams of quinoa each day tolerated the "super-grain" well and did not experience any adverse immune responses.
- A single immune protein is key to fighting viral and bacterial pathogens, as well as parasites. But how it does it varies on what it's fighting.
- Experts from the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center in Denver say the alternative cancer treatment, cesium chloride, killed a 61-year-old woman who was reportedly suffering from cancer treatment.
- A newly discovered avoidance mechanism illuminates a new target for physicians struggling to quell mosquito-borne viruses like the eastern equine encephalitis virus.
- Opioids, Painkillers Given To Men With Prostate Complications Damage The Immue System's Ability To Fight Cancer CellsTaking pain medication such as opioids to treat prostate cancer can damage a man's immune system, leaving the body susceptible to the spread of cancerous cells.
- Drinking alcohol in moderation might improve the immune system's response to vaccines, making them more effective in populations with weakened immune systems, a study on primates has found.
- The New York City Board of Health voted on Wednesday to approve a proposed requirement that all children under the age of 5 receive seasonal flu shots.
- This year's spike in measles infections highlights the public health dangers of anti-vaccine movements and pseudoscience.
- Doctors effectively treated patients showing early symptoms of multiple sclerosis by using a vaccine that is based on a weakened form of bacteria.
- Chandler Webb, 19, died about a month after receiving a standard flu shot, and his mother is certain the vaccination caused her son's death.
Immune System Disorders
An immune system is a system of biological structures and processes within an organism that protects against disease. In order to function properly, an immune system must detect a wide variety of agents, from viruses to parasitic worms, and distinguish them from the organism's own healthy tissue. A vaccine is a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.