- Johnson & Johnson may soon have an effective HIV vaccine after it showed success in non-human trials.
- Over a third of Americans are considered obese, and part of the reason is due to imbalances in gut bacteria.
- Add dragon fruit to your diet to reap the six benefits of this tropical superfood, from reducing aging to treating diabetes.
- Jim Carrey really doesn't like the new law mandating vaccines for all kids.
- Claire Wineland from The Clarity Project YouTube channel explains what it's like being in a medically induced coma.
- Meditation, breathing exercises, and routine exposure to cold could help people activate their autonomic nervous system while simultaneously restraining their immune system, say researchers.
- Doctors received training on how to best convince parents vaccinations are necessary, and even that didn't really work.
- Promising results from a recent phase 3 trial suggest drugs that prompt an immune response may replace chemotherapy as the "go-to" cancer treatment.
- A drug containing a genetically modified strain of the herpes virus has proved successful in treating aggressive skin cancer.
- Comedian Amy Schumer pokes fun at parents influenced by celebrities' unscientific opinion.
- Mental Floss dispels some common misconceptions about being sick, such as the belief vitamin C protects you from the common cold.
- Changes in our immune system depend on what time of year it is, which explains why we are healthier in the summer compared to the winter.
Immune System Disorders
An immune system is a system of biological structures and processes within an organism that protects against disease. In order to function properly, an immune system must detect a wide variety of agents, from viruses to parasitic worms, and distinguish them from the organism's own healthy tissue. A vaccine is a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.