- A growing number of stiletto-obsessed women are chopping off their pinky toes in a bid to fit in their favorite heels.
- People who have undergone a hip replacement surgery have a four-fold increased risk of having a stroke.
- Hip resurfacing procedures have high failure rates when compared to hip replacements, a new study reports. Researchers recommend that women must not undergo this surgery.
- Researchers found a variety of strides can indicated anything from weak muscles to Alzheimer's disease.
- Though ACL injuries are more common in the United States, Swedish men have a higher chance of injuring their ACL, compared to Swedish women.
- Flip-flops provide little to no arch support or coverage to one's feet.
- Nanoscale films developed at MIT promote bone growth, creating a stronger seal between implants and patients’ own bone.
- The culprit behind a failed hip or knee replacements might be found in the mouth.
- Federal regulators have asked an advisory panel whether human trials on a class of experimental pain medications designed to treat osteoarthritis and chronic back pain should resume after it was temporarily halted in 2010 after the drugs were reportedly causing bone decay and joint deterioration.
- A group of medical researchers from Belgium and the Netherlands successfully replaced the jaw of an 83-year-old woman with a 3-D printer-created lower jaw in what doctors had said was the first...
- A set of seven advanced robotic surgery systems designed for medical research laboratories have been completed by experts at University of California at Santa Cruz and the University of Washington.
- Researchers have found that an increased number of abdominal gunshot and stab wounds are being treated without the need for unnecessary operations.
Orthopedics specializes in diagnosis and treatment of problems of the musculoskeletal system. The musculoskeletal system includes: bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and nerves. It is a main branch of surgery.