- A recent survey finds that most Americans don't want to live past 100 years old.
- Real-Life Bionic Man: Robotic Exoskeleton Passes Safety Tests With Rehabilitation For The Disabled [VIDEO]A mind-controlled bionic exoskeleton for the disabled may soon be sold across Europe now that it has received safety approval from Germany.
- As the push for transparency in healthcare increases, a new report by Consumer Union ranks hospitals with the goal of helping consumers choose the best one for their interests.
- Coweta Woman Found: 78-Year Old With Dementia Covered In Barbed Wire And Bites, Remains In Critical ConditionA 78-year-old Coweta woman suffering from dementia was found on Tuesday by Georgia authorities after a four-day search effort.
- Testosterone Tablets Prevent Muscle Wasting: New Research Holds Promise For Treating Diseased And AgingNew research shows testosterone tablets may prevent muscle wasting in people suffering from chronic disease and aging.
- Mark Covert, 62-year-old runner, ended his 45-year running streak on Wednesday.
- Salustiano Sanchez-Blazquez, 112, Is World's Oldest Man; Says He Owes Longevity To Eating Bananas And Anacin TabletsGuinness World Records names Salustiano Sanchez-Blazquez, 112, the oldest man in the world.
- Smoking, Unhealthy Eating, And Physical Inactivity Make The Elderly 2.5 Times More Likely To Develop DisabilityUnhealthy behaviors, like smoking and physical inactivity, have a strong association with the development of disabilities in the elderly.
- Age Of Consent: Should A Number Be Placed On the Upper Limit To Protect Elderly Patients With Dementia?Do the elderly with dementia, particularly women living in nursing homes, need protection from rape? Would a new age of consent at the upper end provide that protection?
- Every congressional session, Representative Earl Blumenauer of Oregon reintroduces the infamous "death panel" legislation, which in reality, is a provision to reimburse physicians for having difficult conversations about a patient's wishes.
- "Law & Order" actor Dennis Farina died at the age of 69 on Monday following complications due to a blood clot in his lung.
- With fall injuries being the most common reason for trauma hospital admissions for adults over age 65, methylphenidate, an ADHD drug, might have therapeutic benefits for those who want to improve...
Geriatrics is a sub-specialty of internal medicine and family medicine that focuses on health care of elderly people. It aims to promote health by preventing and treating diseases and disabilities in older adults. There is no set age at which patients may be under the care of a geriatrician, or physician who specializes in the care of elderly people. Rather, this decision is determined by the individual patient's needs.