- Older drinkers appear more immune to the painful effects of the alcoholic hangover, even when eliminating such factors as the amount and frequency of binge drinking as well as the consumption of food while drinking.
- Currently, 12 million Americans of all ages living with some cognitive or functional impairment rely on long-term care, and that number is expected to grow.
- Dhaqo Ebba claims to remember Abyssinian conquerors, Italian invaders, and other mid- to late 19th century events.
- High adherence to a Mediterranean diet is linked to improved brain health and a reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's disease, a new review has found.
- Long-distance swimmer Diane Nyad became the first person to cover the distance between Cuba and Florida without a shark cage or flippers.
- On average, guys drown three times as often as women, usually as a result of doing guy stuff.
- Once-A-Week Exercise Enough To Significantly Improve Strength, Endurance In Women Over 60, New Research ConcludesA recent study found no significant difference between older women who worked out once, twice, or three times a week.
- British retiree and former builder Tom Lackey shattered his own wing walking record when he crossed the Irish Sea on top of a biplane.
- Remote Area Medical offers health care to thousands of Americans who wouldn't have the means otherwise, free of charge.
- Police in Washington have arrested one suspect in connection with the seemingly random murder of World War II veteran Delbert "Shorty" Belton.
- Researchers have discovered that genes, specifically damaged mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited from our mothers, contribute to aging.
- Sandra Foli's powerlifting passion began five years ago, after septic shock almost claimed her life. Her new record is clean deadlift of 181.5 pounds.
Geriatrics is a sub-specialty of internal medicine and family medicine that focuses on health care of elderly people. It aims to promote health by preventing and treating diseases and disabilities in older adults. There is no set age at which patients may be under the care of a geriatrician, or physician who specializes in the care of elderly people. Rather, this decision is determined by the individual patient's needs.