The Grapevine

Girl ‘Choked Own Blood’ To Death Due To Inhaled Mold

Hospital
The CDC found a variety of antibiotic-resistant germs in hospitals across the country. Martha Dominguez/Unsplash

Tragedy has fallen a 14-year-old’s life recently after contracting a rare fungal infection that unfortunately, slowly took her life.

Living in the United Kingdom and just 14 years of age, Jade Owens was a teenager that loved both the outdoors and horseback riding, aiming to be an expert at such an early age. As such, it seemed that the adventures in her life were just starting.

Unfortunately, it was cut short back in May, when the teenager first complained of headaches alongside flu-like symptoms. Instinctively, her mother then took her to the doctor, who then diagnosed her as suffering from a “minor chest infection.”

Come the next day, however, Owens’ condition has deteriorated by a mile and was even looking “discolored,” as described by her grandmother, who works as a nurse. She was also starting to experience rapid breathing, which made her grandmother send her to the local emergency clinic.

From there, it was revealed that Owens’ is already in diabetic ketoacidosis, which is defined as a “serious complication of diabetes that occurs when your body produces high levels of blood acids called ketones.” Afterwards, Owens’ was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

“Jade looked very poorly and hadn’t been well all week. We went to the doctors and we thought it was just an infection and that was that. I had no idea it would turn out to be as serious as it did,” Jade’s mother said in an interview.

She was then transferred to Manchester Children’s hospital, where her condition seemed to get better. However, her condition deteriorated again after two weeks.

She then started coughing up blood in the hospital, and unfortunately, died after just 20 minutes.

Afterwards, it was then discovered that she’s been infected with a rare but serious fungal infection called mucormycosis, which according to the CDC, “commonly affects the sinuses or the lungs after inhaling fungal spores from the air, or the skin after the fungus enters the skin through a cut, burn, or other type of skin injury.”

It reportedly “ate away” her lungs, throat and airways, prompting the tissues in her body to go through necrosis.

Per the CDC, there’s a yearly rate of 1.7 cases of mucormycosis per one million people.

Hospital The CDC found a variety of antibiotic-resistant germs in hospitals across the country. Martha Dominguez/Unsplash

Loading...
Join the Discussion