The Grapevine

Infant Dies After Contracting Fungus At Seattle’s Children’s Hospital

As per the latest news, a nearly 6-month-old infant baby unfortunately died at Seattle’s Children’s Hospital after reportedly contracting an aspergillus mold infection and succumbing to it.

Unfortunate Infant Death

Beth Hutt was nearly 6 months old, and after a battle with an aspergillus infection, the infant sadly died. Her parents, Katie and Micah Hutt, then took to Facebook, posting a thank you to the team that looked after their baby daughter while she was still alive and made sure that her transition was “as painless and smooth as possible.”

“We will post when we’ve had the chance to make plans for celebrating our brave, courageous, beautiful warrior. Please understand that we likely won’t be responding to messages or calls while we figure out what ‘life after’ looks like,” the parents stated on their post.

Beginning when she was just a mere 5 days old, Beth already went through obstacles since she was born back in August with a heart condition. Because of this, she was rushed from MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital to Seattle Children’s, where she managed to undergo three surgeries .

At some point while trying to recover during her stay at the hospital, Beth unfortunately managed to get herself infected with the aspergillus mold, which is a recurring problem that has sickened and affected patients at the hospital as far back as the year 2001.

As such, Beth’s family made themselves involved in a class-action lawsuit against the children’s hospital. The lawsuit itself isn’t new since it was first filed back in December last year on behalf of all the other patients that unfortunately contracted the life-threatening mold. Beth’s case was then added back in January after she first contracted it too.

The lawsuit is currently ongoing, although Beth’s parents along with all the others are hoping for a favorable outcome.

Aspergillus Mold

For people who have generally healthy immune systems, breathing with the mold isn’t necessarily harmful. However, for people who have weakened immune systems like Beth, breathing with the spores of the mold can result in a lung infection that can also spread to other parts of the body.

Infant Sleep Brief arousals during sleep may occur as many as ten to fifteen per night in both humans and animals. Kelly Sikkema/Unsplash