The Grapevine

Man Feared For Life After Swallowed Coin Got Stuck In His Throat

A man swallowed a coin at a party, thinkig thatt it was a funny act to pull. But he was then rushed to the hospital after he complained of having difficulty breathing. Interestingly, this is not something rare since thousands of cases have happened since 1995 where children were rushed to the emergency room for swallowing foreign objects.

A 22-year-old male swallowed a coin at a party as part of a trick. Later on, he had difficulty breathing and was rushed to the emergency room where doctors found that the object was stuck in his throat. Greig Irvine of Glasglow told SWNS that he chugged alcohol hoping that the problem would just go away on its own. However, he was able to feel the coin in his chest. But this did not stop him from drinking more.

Hours after the ingestion, Greig felt worried that the coin had not gone out of his body. He then went to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital to get himself checked. Doctors compelled him to undergo an X-ray to locate the coin. They put Greig to sleep and stuck a camera into his throat before pulling the coin out, reported Fox News.

Due to the unfortunate incident, Greig missed work and felt guilty over being treated first than the other patients who were also in need. Surprisingly, Greg’s case isn’t that rare. Reports of children swallowing foreign objects have doubled in the last two decades, according to the New York Times.

According to a study published in AAP News and Journals Gateway under Pediatrics, from 1995 to 2015, there had been 759,074 cases of children under the age of six that ingested foreign objects. The Federal Bureau of Investigation found that these children were treated in emergency departments and among the types of objects ingested, 61.7 percent involved coins.

In the United States, children were found to commonly swallow coins. As per a study published in the US National Library of Medicine, children with mental health issues were at a higher risk of swallowing foreign objects and require medical attention. Moreover, the ingestion causes health problems especially when the object gets stuck in the GI tract. It could lead to trauma of the mucosa or caustic burn injury.

Throat For Sore Throat Relief, here are the Top 7 Products To Help You Out. MARK D/Pixabay