The Grapevine

Man Nearly Dies After Popcorn Gets Stuck In His Teeth

Sometimes, you just never know what will happen. Such is the case for a 41-year-old man from Cornwall, England, who recently survived an ordeal that started with having a piece of popcorn lodged in his teeth, and him trying to remove it using various objects. The man developed a life-threatening infection not long after that, which eventually required him to undergo open heart surgery to pull through and live.

A firefighter and a father of three, Adam Martin reported that he first noticed a piece of popcorn stuck in the back of one of his teeth while he and his wife saw a movie in the theaters sometime last September. He was then unable to remove the popcorn for at least three days, even claiming that he used various tools to remove the piece of popcorn, such as a metal nail, a pen lid, a toothpick and a piece of wire. His attempts were unsuccessful and just led to the surrounding gum becoming damaged.

A week later, Martin began suffering night sweats, fatigue and headaches, eventually learning that he has developed endocarditis, which is an infection of the endocardium. The infection happens when the bloodstream gets infected by bacteria that came from the skin, intestines or other parts of the body. In Martin’s case, it was his mouth.

Martin then decided to visit the doctor by October since his symptoms were yet to subside.

“I had a feeling [that] there was something seriously wrong. I was sleeping an awful lot and I felt terrible. I had aches and pains in my legs and I just did not feel right at all. I was admitted to hospital the same day for tests. By this point, I was very worried,” he said.

Eventually, Martin had to undergo open heart surgery to save his life because the infection had already reached the valves of his heart.

Per Martin, none of this could have happened if he just went to the dentist as early as he can. Also, it could have been avoided if he took antibiotics early on last year, according to his wife.

Surgery Doctors prepare a patient for an open surgery. Pixabay