Healthy Living

Omni Diet For Weight Loss: Does It Work?

The six-week long Omni diet is made up of three phases for people to slowly ease into the idea of restricting food. It consists of 70 percent plant food and 30 percent lean meat in order to have a complete balanced diet. 

The diet's goal is mainly to improve health by decreasing risk of chronic diseases and reducing inflammation. While the first two phases strictly limit the intake of certain food, the final phase is more relaxed. 

The founder of the Omni diet is registered nurse Tara Amen, who formulated the plan to improve her chronic health conditions: insulin resistance and high cholesterol, among other issues. It all started when she got thyroid cancer at 23 years of age, after which she did not recover with medication alone. 

Amen struggled with bloating and skin breakouts she experienced while eating various food groups. This inspired her to develop the Omni diet with the correct nutrition. “The balance of 70% plant-based foods and 30% protein restores energy, slashes risk of disease, optimizes brain and hormone functioning, produces dramatic weight loss, and promotes health from the inside out,” Amen believes.

Food allowed on the diet are: fresh vegetables, little fruit, grass-fed lean meat and poultry, beans, lentils, herbs, spices and healthy oils. Foods not allowed on the diet are: dairy, sugar, grains, gluten, alcohol, sugar, soy and artificial sweeteners. The following are the three phases followed:

Phase 1 - At this point, you should limit intake of fruit, or eat no fruit at all. Eat more vegetables and drink 50 percent of your body weight in water. Ensure you manage to eat about 70 percent of plants and 30 percent of protein. 

Phase 2 - After two weeks, you can now eat desserts without added sugar such as dark chocolate. You should also exercise by walking for 30 minutes a day and eventually follow a full body workout. 

Phase 3 - You can now follow up to 90 percent of the diet and the rest of the 10 percent can be eaten from the list of forbidden foods. 

Advantages

The Omni diet aims at teaching people to cook right and make healthy food choices. Amen stresses on de-stressing with meditation practicing gratitude and encouraging exercise. It’s a holistic lifestyle approach, which also does not encourage counting calories and focuses on maintaining a 70:30 ratio. The high fiber diet helps with digestion and allows your body to take an intuitive approach to eating, but that could go either way. Intuitive eating is sometimes better practiced when all food groups can be consumed without limitations. 

Disadvantages

All diets with an expiry date could lead to regaining the weight again after the time period of the diet is complete. Rebounding is a major concern. The restrictions on gluten and diary could cut out some important nutrients such as calcium and vitamin D. The other downside is that all-organic ingredients are expensive to purchase.  

Plant-Based Diet Plant-based diets provide the body full of nutrients, without the cravings for meat or processed foods. Photo courtesy of Pixabay, public domain

Loading...
Join the Discussion