The Grapevine

Tom Brady Diet: Is The New England Patriots QB Meal Plan For You?

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is expected to return to the field for NFL this year. As he turns 42 in August, many fans wonder how Brady maintains a good health that allows him to stay in the professional football world.

The Tom Brady diet could be the answer. The NFL superstar said this approach helps improve his athletic performance, reduces his risk of injury and helps speed up his recovery. 

Brady unveiled this diet in 2017 through his book “The TB12 Method.” Since its release, many people tried the Tom Brady diet and claimed it effectively improved their overall health and increased their energy levels.

The Pats QB designed his diet based on principles of the alkaline, Mediterranean and anti-inflammatory diets. Brady encourages people to consume whole, minimally processed foods, particularly organic and locally grown ones. 

The Tom Brady diet is divided into two food groups. About 80 percent is covered by fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds and legumes while the remaining 20 percent includes grass-fed, organic, antibiotic- or hormone-free lean meats and wild-caught seafood.

In addition, the program discourages people from eating dairy, gluten-containing foods and those with added sugars, artificial sweeteners and trans fats. 

Tom Brady Diet Health Benefits

The NFL athlete’s diet appears closely related to the Mediterranean diet that has been linked to improved heart health. Previous studies suggested that the approach could reduce the risk of stroke, heart attacks and death from heart disease.

The Tom Brady diet may also help lower blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels, according to Healthline

Who Can Eat Like Tom Brady

To those trying to lose weight, this diet may or may not work for you. Brady did not design his diet for weight loss. 

However, some of its rules have been associated with reduced calorie intake. It limits intake of processed food and meals before bedtime.

The Tom Brady diet promotes consumption of fiber-rich foods, such as fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds. Diets rich in fiber are known to support weight loss.

However, those who are on a tight budget might not enjoy Brady’s daily meals. It restricts conventionally grown foods and promotes only organically produced that make his diet expensive.

For example, Brady prefers pink Himalayan salt and proprietary supplements, which both are costly.

Tom Brady New England Patriots at Washington Redskins 08/28/09 Keith Allison/flickr

Loading...
Join the Discussion