Mental or emotional health refers to our positive characteristics and overall psychological well-being. Mentally healthy people are known to deal with stress effectively by being able to bounce back from adversity. They are basically content people whose activities and relationships are meaningful.
Some characteristics of mentally and emotionally healthy people are outlined as follows.
1. Mentally and emotionally healthy are focused, flexible, and creative during good and bad times because they are resilient people who can recognize and appropriately express their emotions.
2. People who are mentally healthy avoid negative mood states created by depression and anxiety by maintaining a strong support network of loved ones whom they can depend on for encouragement.
3. During problems, they have the characteristic ability to step forward and take action as well as step back and reenergize themselves.
4. Emotional and mental wellbeing is directly related to physical health because the mind and body are linked entities. A well maintained physique can be obtained by
*Sleeping seven to eight hours each night.
* Learning about good nutrition, its effect on energy and mood and practicing it.
* Exercising for 30 minutes or more each day.
* Adding small healthy activities to living like climbing stairs instead of using elevators and going for short walks.
* Getting 10 to 15 minutes of exposure to sunlight every day.
* Avoiding cigarettes, alcohol and drugs.
5. Stress and negative emotions prevent people from facing challenges. Providing adequate attention to our needs and feelings can balance maintain and strengthen mental and emotional health. We can boost ourselves when we
* Appeal to all our five senses by implementing techniques like listening to music, massaging hands and feet, sipping a warm drink and placing flowers.
* Engage in productive and creative work like gardening, drawing, playing an instrument and writing.
* Care for a pet.
* Give priority to leisure time.
* Meditate, pray; take time out for contemplation and appreciation.6. Developing and maintaining supportive relationships forms the foundation of emotional health. A successful strategy for the same includes
* Not neglecting real-world relationships in favor of a TV screen.
* Spend time with upbeat, positive people interested in their welfare.
* Helping others by volunteering.
* Joining networking and special interest groups with people having common interests.