Alcoholic beverages are consumed everyday worldwide. Health experts suggest those who choose to consume these drinks, should do so in moderation.
Alcoholic beverages should not be consumed by individuals who cannot control their alcohol intake. An individual who is currently taking any type of medication should not consume alcohol, as well as a pregnant woman, anyone under the age of 21 or anyone participating in activities that require coordination, such as operating machinery or driving a car.
Alcoholic beverages contain an excessive amount of calories that can lead to weight gain. According to Medline Plus, an online medical encyclopedia, one bottle of beer may contain as much as 150 calories. If an individual consumes at least three beers a week, it amounts to 1,788 calories a month. So what can you do to thwart your weight gain, but still enjoy your choice of booze? Choose a healthier alternative.
Here are eight guidelines that can help you reduce the amount of calories consumed during happy hour:
1. Choose freshly squeezed juice or 100 percent juice.
2. Choose seltzer water. Seltzer water reduced the amount of sodium and other additives compared to sodas. If you absolutely must have a soda, choose a diet soda, anything with less added sugar.
3. Choose honey over syrup. Honey has antioxidants and gives you a better control of your sugar count. Whenever syrup is needed use a half table spoon of honey instead combined with ¾ tablespoon of water.
4. Choose fruit. Opt out of sugar and flavored syrup and use fruits which add natural sugars, fiber and vitamins.
5. Light is better than dark. Dark alcohol contains more compounds such as congeners, which can make the morning after a rough one.
6. One shot per drink. For drinks that contain more than one alcohol, you should only add one additional shot.
7. Size does matter, for alcohol at least. Only consume drinks near the 8-ounce mark.
8. Choose nutritious ingredients. Ingredients such as lemon and ginger have health benefits. Ginger promotes energy circulation, while increasing the body's metabolic rate. Lemons protect against free radicals and also serve as an antioxidant. It is also promotes health digestion by combating germs and bacteria in the intestines and bowels.