Thirteen-year-old Natalie Giorgi was at the last stop on her family vacation when she mistakenly ate a Rice Krispie treat-like snack drenched in chocolate and peanut butter. Twenty minutes later, she began vomiting and went into cardiac arrest. She was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

According to ABC News 10, Giorgi had a severe peanut allergy that prevented her from even tasting products with peanuts in them. When she realized her snack had peanut butter in it, she immediately told her mother. Just minutes later, it was too late. Three attempts to help Giorgi using epinephrine pens failed.

Family and friends said that Giorgi was very careful about consuming food with peanuts in it, even from a young age.

"She took every care," said Pastor Michael Kiernan, who held a vigil for Giorgi at his church on Sunday. "She knew the situation that's (connected to) the allergy she had. And they were really on it all the time," says that peanut allergies are among the most common food allergies. When people with the allergy come in contact with peanuts, it can cause anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is a potentially fatal allergic reaction that requires immediate attention from a medical professional. Epinepherine shots are usually prescribed to patients with severe food allergies to reverse the most severe symptoms of the allergic reaction. In Giorgi's case, it may have been administered too late.

"A small amount of peanut, if you're a sensitive person, can be fatal," said Dr. Scott Sicherer, professor of pediatrics and chief of the division of allergy and immunology at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City. "And peanut is a pretty common food, which can be hidden in things, so it's hard to avoid."

One in 13 children in the United States suffers from a severe food allergy, according to the Daily News. The number of children with food allergies has increased by nearly two percent since 1997, from 3.4 percent to 5.1 percent in 2011.

Giorgi's parents offered a statement in hopes that the loss of their daughter will help to raise awareness about food allergies:

"While our hearts are breaking over the tragic loss of our beautiful daughter Natalie, it is our hope that others can learn from this and realize that nut and food allergies are life threatening. Caution and care for those inflicted should always be supported and taken."