Apple iPhone Electrocution Kills Chinese Woman: Sister Of Victim Ma Ailun Warns Users To 'Refrain' From Devices While Charging

iPhone 5 charging
A Chinese woman named Ma Ailun passed away over the weekend after she was electrocuted by her charging iPhone 5. tuchodi, CC BY 2.0

A 23-year-old woman in China passed away after receiving a powerful electrical shock when she answered her iPhone 5 that was still on the charger. Apple has agreed to comply with an investigation into the tragic death of former China Southern Airlines flight attendant Ma Ailun.

According to a tweet on microblog Sina Weibo, allegedly from Ma's sister, Ma collapsed and died upon answering her charging iPhone 5. She added that all iPhone users should practice caution while handling the cellular device in the future, Reuters reported.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter," a company representative said in a statement.

According to Ma's family, she had bought the device from an official Apple store back in December and was using the charger that came along with the purchase. The cell phone, its original charger, and any other accessories have been handed over to police.

"There is a risk using an electrical device while its installed battery is being charged, be it a shaver or a phone," Johnny Sin Kin-on, professor at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, told The Sun.  

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, someone in the area of an electrical conductor should adhere to safety tips for avoiding a shock. Refrain from touching anything with a electrical current without first establishing that the device is deenergized.

Join the Discussion