The Boston Marathon race has been a cause of mass celebration and enjoyment on every Patriot's Day since 1897, but towards the end of this past Monday's race, after two bombs went off along Boylston Street, it became a cause for distress and turmoil.

Officials went on the hunt for those responsible while medical personnel attended to the wounded — 176 currently accounted for. Some of the severely injured still remain in critical condition. Three have died.

Both local police and federal investigators took to the streets. Officials are any seeking public images and videos of the event to salvage more clues. What is currently known is that the bombs were detonated from a metal pressure cooker that was found inside the remnants of what agents identified as black backpacks. These explosives sent shrapnel flying, in some cases into the skin of forcing doctors to pull out fragments of ball bearings, pellets and carpenter nails and performing amputations.

Among those killed was 8-year-old Martin Richard, who was looking on as his father was racing. His mother and sister were also injured. The latest reports indicate nearly 176 are being treated at various hospitals with 17 still in critical condition. The day is being called the worst terror attack on U.S. grounds since 9/11.

Some victims in close proximity to the two explosions suffered ruptured eardrums. According to the Mayo Clinic, this could result in hearing loss and infections in the middle ear. For more severe cases ruptured eardrums would need to be surgically repaired.

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center's Chief of Emergency Medicine told CBS News that four people in their care remain in critical condition, while the remaining 17 are in serious condition.

The Boston Medical Center added that most of the victims were admitted with severe injuries to the lower-body. The doctors treated 23 victims and had to amputate legs on five.

"The vast majority of the injuries were to lower extremities, including some victims who had parts of their legs blown off," said Dr. Tracey Dechert, trauma surgeon at the Boston Medical Center.

Brigham and Women's Hospital took in 31 victims, out of which 16 were discharged. The Los Angeles Times reported that nine were operated on while five still remain in critical condition.

Among the other disturbing injuries reported were to the head and neck.