Marie Bauzile, mother of the Brooklyn man accused of fatally stabbing a 6-year-old, says her son will not benefit from being sent to prison and requires the help of a mental health facility. Daniel St. Hubert, 27, was released from Clinton Correctional Facility on May 23 only to murder Prince Joshua “P.J.” Avitto nine days later and wound his 7-year-old playmate Mikayla Capers in the elevator of a Brooklyn housing project.

“Jail is not the answer,” Bauzile, 60, told the NY Daily News. “If people have a mental problem, it’s not jail. It’s not the answer. If he’s sick, it’s not his fault. I forgive him for what he did to me because it’s not something he can control.”

St. Hubert was sentenced to five years in prison back in 2009 for trying to strangle Bauzile with an electrical cord. After he attempted to strangle a corrections officer at the prison, mental health professionals diagnosed the man with paranoid schizophrenia. Department of Corrections records show he was committed to mental health facilities three times between 2010 and 2011. St. Hubert’s sister Judith Perry said her brother received no medications or psychiatric referrals upon being released from jail.

“They should not blame my brother,” Perry told the Daily News. “The family should blame the system.”

Prior to the unprovoked attack on the two children, the New York Place Department believes St. Hubert to be a suspect in the murder of 18-year-old Tanaya Copeland, who was stabbed to death on May 30 only a few blocks from the death of Prince Joshua. They are also investigating his role in the stabbing of 53-year-old homeless man Kyle Moore on a subway platform this past Wednesday. Later that day, cops finally took him into custody only two blocks from where the 2009 assault on his mother took place, ending a three-day citywide manhunt.

At his arraignment on Thursday, St. Hubert was charged with multiple offenses, including murder, attempted murder, and possession of a deadly weapon. On Saturday, he was transferred to Bellevue Hospital to undergo what appears to be psychiatric treatment. Due to the terms of his release from the upstate New York prison, St. Hubert was required to check in regularly with his parole officer. Although he met with the officer three times since his release, he missed his scheduled appointment on Wednesday.