Margaritas may leave you with many sober regrets, but for Aaron Peers of Jacksonville Florida, postponing his honeymoon did not seem like one of them. This, however, proved to be inevitable after Peers received second-degree burns from, of all things, lime juice.

According to CBS News, Peers’ condition resulted from a skin reaction known as Phytophotodermatitis, which happens when sunlight and citric acid create a toxic mix that often creates burns the day after. Although somewhat rare, this happens more commonly in Florida during the summer when many, like Peers, are enjoying the sun with some citrusy beverages.

CBS reports that Peers was spending time in his backyard Memorial Day Weekend, squeezing limes to make margaritas, when he got the lime on his hands. After some time in the sun, the lime juice turned toxic, burning Peers the following day. On Tuesday, Peers found the burns had turned into large blisters, and was rushed to the emergency room by fiancé, Alyse Golden, where he found out the burns were second degree. The doctors were stumped: they could not find what caused Peers’ injuries.

Now left bandaged and told to stay out of the sun, Peers is more concerned about his postponed honeymoon. "So the blistering is gone and now I'm left with really bright pink skin", he said. "The most normal reaction is, 'that's gross,' which I agree, it's super gross."

Dr. Douglas Robins cautions that a case like Peers’ can happen to just about anyone, regardless of skin sensitivity and allergies. "If you've never had it before that doesn't matter," said Robins. "It's a combination of lime juice and the sun."

This chemical reaction that occurred between limes and the sun can happen in other plants as well. When UV light meets plants like celery, parsley and parsnips, a similar burning may occur. Wildflowers, like Queen Anne’s Lace can also produce the reaction.

Though often unpredictable, Robins suggests the best solution to prevent situations like Peers’ is to make your margaritas indoors.