Service dog Figo proved himself to be one of the bravest heroes and most loyal of pets when he stepped in front of a mini-bus this Monday for blind owner, Audrey Stone. After spotting the vehicle coming, and sensing his owner was in danger, Figo did not hesitate to get in front of Stone, and take most of the blow. Now Stone is on the mend, having sustained no serious injury, thanks to the immense love and care of her dog.

According to NBC’s report, the scene that occurred in Brewster, NY shows an overwhelming amount of evidence of Figo’s good deed. Police photos display fur stuck to the front driver’s side wheel of the mini-bus, and fur covering the middle of Michael Neuner Avenue, where Figo took the brunt of the hit for Stone.

The Brewster school bus driver was carrying two kindergarteners to St. Lawrence O’Toole Childhood Learning Center at about 8:15 Monday morning, when both Stone and Figo entered his path. He was coming down Carmel Avenue, headed to North Main Street, when he made the turn onto Michael Neuner Drive and accidentally collided with the two.

“She got about to the middle of the street right before the bus,” said Brewster Police Chief Del Gardo. “(The driver’s) eyes were occupied on the North Main traffic.” Del Gardo also added that the bus was not driving fast, because no evidence of skidmarks was left on the pavement.

Stone, age 62, came out of the fray with a fractured right elbow, three broken ribs, a fractured ankle and a cut to her head, says Del Gardo. Figo, too, did not come out unscathed, sustaining a cut down to the bone on his right leg with much of the skin peeled off.

“I don’t know if (the driver) thought (Stone) was going to move faster, but it looks like the dog tried to take most of the hit for her,” said Paul Schwartz, manager of the Xtra Mart gas station at the intersection of where the scene took place.

According to Schwartz one of Figo’s most heartwarming actions came after he took the hit; despite his injuries, he refused to leave his owner’s side.

“There were 15 EMTs and people all around her and the dog didn’t want to leave,” Schwartz said. “He was flopping over to her and she didn’t want him to get away from her, either. She kept screaming, ‘Where’s Figo? Where’s Figo? Where’s Figo?’ We kept telling her he was fine.”

The EMTs tended to Figo’s wounds, dressing his right leg. Schwartz said he remained calm, but continued to search for his owner. “He let us wrap up his leg without any problem. He wasn’t barking or crying or yelping. But he kept pulling toward her. After she was put on the gurney and taken away, he stopped doing that. He seemed a bit lost after she left.”

Schwartz also noted that Stone was very upset that the ambulance would not allow Figo to come with her. Luckily, Figo received great care of his own at the Middlebranch Veterinary in Paterson, where Del Gardo confirmed he underwent surgery to repair his leg.

According to Steven Moskowitz, Brewster’s assistant superintendent for human resources and technology, the driver of the mini-bus was given a summons for not yielding to a pedestrian. He was promptly taken to Partners in Safety, located in White Plains, after the accident, for a post-accident drug and alcohol test. The results of the test are said to be available later in the week. The driver was also taken off duty pending investigation, which will review the dashboard cameras on the mini-bus, and another bus that was in the area during the time of the accident. Moskowitz also added the two children being carried in the bus were taken to O’Toole by another bus, and their parents were told of the incident.

Del Gardo concluded by saying that he was stunned by Figo’s impulsive bravery, and the devotion he displayed to his owner. “The dog took a lot of the blow. And he didn’t want to leave her side. He stood right with her. He was there to save her.”

Both owner and pet are in recovery, and friends are currently helping Stone to work out the details of Figo’s care. He should be back to his owner’s side in no time.