Be careful when taking selfies in public — it could expose your narcissistic, impulsive, and antisocial tendencies to the world. You could also end up with an obscene venomous snake bite and $153,161 in hospital bills. Todd Fassler learned this the hard way earlier this month when he tried to take a selfie with a rattlesnake and almost ended up losing his life.

“My whole body was shaking, it was gyrating,” Fassler told ABC10. “He literally paralyzed my whole body. My tongue was sticking out of my mouth, my eyes were off to the side.”

Fassler, who owned a pet rattlesnake up until he released it because he thought “animal services would appreciate it,” said his nearly fatal encounter happened at the Barona Speedway on the outskirts of San Diego. He was rushed to a nearby hospital after attempting to take a picture with the largest type of venomous snake in the United States.

After doctors used up their entire supply of antivenom at the first hospital he was taken to, he was transferred to another so he could get more. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fassler became one of the 7,000 to 8,000 Americans who suffer a venomous snake bite each year. Thankfully, he didn’t become one of the five people who die as a result of their snake bite.