In a bizarre case, a woman went blind while driving, only to discover later that she had a rare brain condition that caused the loss of eyesight.

Shannen Broodryk was on a road trip from Oxford to Bristol in the U.K. when she suddenly couldn't see. Fortunately, she was able to avoid any accident by somehow pulling over onto the hard shoulder.

“I could see a mixture of light but had no idea what was in front of me,” the 28-year-old said, NYPost reported. “It was as if somebody had put frosted glass over my eyes.”

“I must have had an angel looking over me. I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t even touch my phone,” Broodryk added.

The preschool teacher, who had episodes of headaches and blurred vision before, immediately called her doctor upon reaching home. She was referred to an eye hospital, where she was diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIF).

"I was scared I was going to lose my life," she said. "There were three conditions they had to check for - a large tumor, a blood clot through the brain, or IIH."

Broodryk, who lives in Wiltshire in South West England, said even though she had had other episodes where she could not see properly, she was not taken seriously enough.

"I had a really bad headache and I had a ringing in my ears," she said. "I remember having a conversation with my parents and telling them it felt like my head was going to explode.”

Following a CT scan and a lumbar puncture, it was found Broodryk had an abnormally high level of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and was diagnosed with IIF.

"Most people have a CSF level of between ten and 17 but mine was above 45," Broodryk explained.

The woman was then transferred to Southmead Hospital where a thin tube was fitted to re-direct the excess fluid in her brain.

"I couldn't see the doctors in front of me. I had a shunt inserted in my brain and it saved my sight," Broodryk said.

Broodryk, who lives with her husband Joshua, still has to take medication to manage her condition.

The repercussions of the diagnosis were both medical as well as personal for Broodryk.

"The swelling went down but the effects are still very much alive," she said. "The pressure ruptured both of my retinas.”

"I lost my driving license for two years and I lost my job,” Broodryk added.

In another bizarre incident, a man from Florida went blind in one eye after sleeping with his contact lenses still in. But the thin plastic lenses were only partly responsible for his condition. Mike Krumholz, 21, was eventually diagnosed with Acanthamoeba keratitis after a series of tests. The infection is caused by a single-celled amoeba typically found in bodies of water, soil, and air, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.