A dental implant surgery in a hospital in Sweden went awry after a piece of dental drill fell down a woman's throat and landed in her lung.

During the surgery, a piece of the drill came loose and fell down the throat of the woman who is reportedly around 60 years old. She was immediately pulled back into sitting position, but it was too late. "She tried to spit it out, and was made to cough, but she'd already swallowed," the hospital's medical chief Per Weitz told The Local.

The three-centimeter long drill went inside her throat as she was lying down and had swallowed the piece reflexively.

An x-ray scan taken immediately after the accident showed that the drill was lodged into her right lung. A bronchoscopy was then performed on the patient.

"A pinky-sized tube was sent into her lung with a small camera and pliers to grab hold of the drill," Weitz said, The Local reports.

Although the woman was able to leave the hospital a day after the bronchoscopy, her complete recovery from the accident took another month.

The hospital where the accident occurred, Västmanland County Hospital in Sweden, said that it has taken precautions to ensure such accidents don't happen in the future.

"What we've done at the clinic is to make sure everyone double checks that the drill is attached properly, and we've also introduced a routine of testing the drill in the air. That should be done before every procedure now," Weitz told The Local.

"Unfortunately, drills are going to be dropped every now and then," Weitz added, The Local reports.