- A physician in Cleveland wants researchers and the media to recognize that when they write about overdoses and firearm deaths among young people, that they are writing about people, not statistics.
- Despite industry claims that e-cigarettes exist to help adults stop smoking, so-called vaping, and ads about the practice, seem to have another purpose: cartoon ads depicting e-cigarette smoking on...
- When an otherwise healthy young person goes to the emergency room complaining of nausea, pain, and uncontrollable vomiting, doctors might assume the worst. But for some of these patients, if they...
- Previous dietary recommendations that allow for 2 drinks per day for men and 1 for women have been changed to 1 drink per day for everyone.
- The Food and Drug Administration announced new safety labels for codeine and hydrocodone this week.
- Long-term marijuana users are reporting debilitating vomiting and stomach pain, part of a mysterious but possibly rising condition linked to weed.
- Teenagers who are dependent on marijuana and alcohol are less likely to hold down a good job or get married as adults — and young men were affected more seriously than young women.
- Kids who smoke e-cigarettes are more likely to take up smoking traditional cigarettes, but is it because of the electronic devices or because of their background?
- A recent study has examined the reasons that some individuals with alcohol addiction may be driven to drink.
- A drug overdose is more than just a single event. Here's what can happen after recovery.
- New research suggests that cancer survivors may have a higher rate of prescription painkillers refilled.
- A West Virginia woman shares photos of herself when she struggled with drug abuse to show what she calls the ugly truth about addiction.
Historically, addiction has been defined as physical and/or psychological dependence on psychoactive substances (for example alcohol, tobacco, heroin, caffeine and other drugs) which cross the blood-brain barrier once ingested, temporarily altering the chemical milieu of the brain.